Thursday, March 3, 2011

Linden's dinners

Alas, this little blog has been gathering dust (as, admittedly, most things in our family do, because we are not big on feather dusters). But I know it is not for lack of eating! In fact, a number of us have changed our fooding patterns, which means I suspect there are a number of delicious new meals being consumed throughout the family that no one is telling me about.

Given my deep understanding of human nature, I know that creating a situation in which people feel socially obliged to reciprocate is pretty practical way of getting things done. However, given that the last five entries on this joint family blog are from yours truly, I think we should perhaps conclude that this informal internet structure is not sufficient obligation. However, I am going to have another go, because I am very proud of my fooding.

This was dinner from a week or so ago, during my Cumin Period.


I sauteed cauliflower, carrots, onion in a pan until cooked through (this requires cauliflower in small florets), and then added in lentils that had been previously cooked, and seasoned with cumin, salt, pepper, thyme, and a little paprika and turmeric.(This one also benefits from lamb if you happen to have some lying around.)

And this is from last night, during my "I have a lot of random meat in the freezer I should eat, and also, my veggie-grain-meat balance isn't nearly as good as it was two weeks ago, mostly because I am now eating meat" phase.



For this, I throw onion, broccoli, carrot, asparagus and garlic into a pan and cook on medium high until the broccoli is slightly crunchy, salting and peppering and paprikaing. I then flake a piece of salmon and toss it in paprika and brown sugar (because why not steal from the archives of Papa when you get a chance), then clear some space in the middle of the pan, put a bit more oil in, and throw in the salmon. Cook it until it's at least cooked on the sides but not necessarily cooked through, then stir it in with the veggies, add rice and stir until the rice is equally coated in deliciousness, and cook a few more minutes until everything is warm and cooked through.

1 comment:

  1. ooh that last one looks good.

    I have not been posting partly because there is a small hassle to uploading pics from the camera...but, soon.

    -xan

    ReplyDelete