Friday, April 29, 2011

Xan: Mangosteen from a can?!?

Well I discovered canned mangosteen -- which we Vongsas are used to calling mong-koot...but apparently americans call it mangosteen -- in a Chinese grocery store.  So of course I bought it, since it's only like the second greatest fruit ever (after mango-nosteen), and I had never seen it outside of Thailand.  



But then the question was what to do with it.  I didn't want to eat them out of the can (pale shadow of the fresh version, etc), and I didn't want to lose them as an ingredient in something complicated.  It took me about half an hour of fruitless (ha!) searching on the interwebs to realize that the answer wasn't on the interwebs.  No, the answer would have to come from within.

The question, it turns out, is not what food mangosteen belongs in, it's what vongsafood mangosteen belongs in. Well, when we put it like that, isn't the answer obvious?



Unfortunately I didn't have a rabbit mold...but it was still pretty darn good.  Hey, this one could be an advertisement:




Mangosteen in lime jello.  Actually, this is just an application of a more general principle: putting things in jello makes them at least 500 times more awesome.  Really I can't think of a better way of awesomizing canned fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment