Saturday, January 29, 2011

Linden's healthy dinner made of cod and goodness



So for those of you who haven't heard, I am having some food allergies right now. This isn't anything new for me, but I think there's something new that's shown up since I came to England so I'm trying to figure it out. Unfortunately, this means two weeks on a very restricted diet. I'm not allowed wheat, potatoes, dairy, soy, and meats that are likely to have additives (so beef, chicken, pork, and farm-raised fish).

Which basically means I'm on a veggie, brown-rice, lamb-and-fish diet. I have some exciting things from before I went on the diet, but for now, it's going to be pictures of the surprisingly delicious foodstuffs I am making while I can't eat cheese (weep weep weep) or bake delicious things.

Tonight I had some zucchini, sweet potatoes, and broiled cod on a bed of basil. (This was because I had some basil I was planning to make pesto with, but since I can't eat cheese, nuts, or pasta, that wasn't really going to work. So I needed to use it up in something else.)


You may note that deepest darkest is eating toast, which makes me jealous.

Yum! Although if I were to do this again, I would use a fish other than cod, because it was a bit too firm for this method of cooking. Suggestions are welcome - it cannot be farmed fish, so it has to be from the deep sea, which is admittedly not so great for the environment. But I am balancing it by not eating chicken or beef, so I feel slightly less bad about that.

I'm planning to finish off my other piece of cod tomorrow by frying it. Sadly, I can't bread it beforehand (no flour allowed!) but I'm sure it will still be delicious. And hopefully a little fatty, I am struggling to eat enough calories, it is tragic. Six months from now when I am a roly-poly I will think back on this time and be bitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment