Saturday, January 22, 2011

Xan, Kris, Cammy: Sorbet?

A few weeks ago Kris and Cammy decided they would bring over some chocolate sorbet, to test-drive their new ice cream maker.

Now, I have no problem with a test-drive. In fact, most of the time I'm trying something new myself.  Hey, if you're my guest for dinner, I am probably experimenting on you.  And so far, things have pretty much worked out for me.  But I think that's just because the things I make can't really go horribly wrong.

Ice cream can go horribly wrong.  As test drives go, this was a crash and burn.  Or perhaps a boil?  Our current theory is that a certain person mixed boiling liquid with the cooling element inside the ice cream machine, which really inhibited its ability to freeze the sorbet.

I don't know the inner workings of an ice cream machine, but suffice it to say that Kris and Cammy did not actually bring over chocolate sorbet.  They brought over chocolate soup.

But from the ashes, a phoenix.  Thanks to Nigel Slater and his disturbingly sexual cookbook which my mom mysteriously owns, I had just recently learned that you can make sorbet by sticking the soup in the freezer and mixing it up every couple hours till it's done.  Magic!




By the way, I have a really hard time mentally differentiating between short asian girls with pretty much the same name, so it's actually a little bit shocking that Cammy has not made at least an accidental appearance on this blog before.

No comments:

Post a Comment