Sunday, December 4, 2011

Well, I think I am willing to concede the the deboning of a chicken is a win for Xan in the "Impressive" category.

Now, on to more important things, like me. I spent, as I often do on Sundays (well, actually I usually do it on Friday nights or Saturdays, but this week I was in the lab all day and evening Friday and Saturday, so it got delayed until this morning), a little while trying to decide what I was going to cook for dinner and leftovers lunches for the week. I was initially thinking beouf bourgignon (or however they spell that, how many letters do they need?), but wasn't really up for all that meat, so I pingponged between different cuisines and meats and recipe sources, until I came upon one that sounded really good: Butternut squash and caramelized onion pie with biscuit base.



Perfect, for it is turning slightly colder and more than slightly damper (also today, I demolded my room), and because it will feel healthy and virtuous all week long (Papa initially didn't believe me, for it had biscuit crust, but I triumphantly informed him that my biscuit crust is made with milk instead of butter, which makes this dinner practically fat free, aside from the gruyere sprinkled on the top.

And it may seem like a lot of cheese, but my pie dish (le creuset, $16 on sale, I am occassionally an awesome shopper) is about two inches deep, so there's a lot of squash under that little layer of cheese:



It turned out surprisingly delicious; next time, I will probably change a few things, but I think Butternut Squash will likely be on the menu more in the coming months (especially given how inexpensive it is during the winter.) Now, I'm going to go to bed so that I can wake up early tomorrow morning and go into work and get more done.


No comments:

Post a Comment